Quick, Easy Pumpkin Soup
This is a perfect soup for cool fall and winter evenings. It’s slightly spicy and a perfect complement to grilled sandwiches.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. margarine
- 2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 cans (29 oz total) vegetable broth, low-sodium
- 1 ¾ cups pumpkin purée
- ½ tsp salt
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- In a large saucepan, sauté onion and red pepper in margarine until almost tender.
- Add the corn (thawed if frozen), jalapenos, garlic, and chili powder.
- Sauté for 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in the broth, pumpkin, salt, and cayenne pepper until blended.
- Bring to a boil. Once brought to a boil, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in lime juice and serve.
Recipe courtesy of the North Carolina State Plants for Human Health Institute